Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Patience, Persistence && Positivity

Not again! Being bitten by the cold-bug once was more than enough for me, but I didn't have any say in the matter. There I was, the middle of my recovery week when I was taken by complete surprise, pretty much jumped from behind, there's no way I could have seen it coming. I mean honestly, is there no common courtesy left in letting me know before you are just go to take over my body? A simple 'batten down the hatches' would have worked fine, and I'm accessible via phone/text/email/twitter/facebook....heck you could have even sent a carrier pigeon!

But I digress. The point is I had no choice in my body taking a blow to the cold bug again. After work last Wednesday I knew I still had another workout to do but the fatigue was too much, I gave in to my bed for the rest of the evening. Then around 4:30am I woke up and every part of my being knew there was no way I was getting out of bed that day. So I started the telephone tree with all 75 million of my bosses/coworkers (ok it was more like 4 but really it's still obnoxious to send a text/email at 5am). I like to think that I have a pretty high tolerance for "pushing through things" especially illness but this hit me head on. I spent the entire day at home, in bed, and almost went crazy for all the sitting still I did. My mind started to wander and the hours felt like days. Really!? Am I complaining about a day off work where I laid around all day. Indeed I am. I missed the structure and the constant moving around....not to mention going this long without getting my heart rate up was taking a toll on me.


By 5pm I had hit my wall and decided to do a short 30 minute Jillian workout, just to get a little sweat going. I have to say it helped quite a bit because I did in fact sweat, but it also relieved the tension I had built up all day. I felt slightly better the next day, still icky but well enough to get back to school. So while I picked up my training again in the afternoon, it was anything but easy. My mind told me that I needed to bust my butt because I had missed a workout but my body was like "To hell with that!" Building yourself back up after illness or even while still fighting illness can be challenging. As an athlete you work hard every day and you owe it to yourself to be good to your body. Not to mention that stubbornness that rears it's head about how you will "fall behind" is really more of a mental obstacle to overcome. It may be hard getting back into it but you have to remind yourself that part of a persistent plan is rest and relaxation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment