Thursday, January 10, 2013

Half way Hump: Week Two

In all fairness I haven't made it all the way through the week, I still have my long bike rides to look forward to this weekend since it's only Thursday. But I thought I would add a post, earlier on to remind myself how fricken sore I am. So in my last post I said that I respected my rest day on Monday but I think I got a little ahead of myself, as I ended up going pretty hard the last few days. Mornings are still rough, I have the option of getting up at 4:30 and getting to LA Fitness by 5am for lifting or treadmill running OR the 5:15 wake up for a swim/run/lift/bike at UChicago. Tuesday and Wednesday I opted for the bed and missed the ship for either of those. Which left me doing both of my workouts in the afternoon/evening. Tuesday was long. I was at school all day and by the end of it the last thing I wanted to do was be around people, uhg. So I told myself that I could break up my workouts at two different gyms and then at least I'm not around the same people for a long time. (PS. I know this sounds terrible, coming from a social worker, but a little isolation goes a long way).

Which is why I was only at LA for about 45 minutes, getting through a quick chest/shoulders lift before I decided to switch up my workout and do my 60 minute steady ride that was supposed to be for Thursday on my trainer at home. I will admit I liked the solitude of the ride but I can see how, down the line, it will be a mental barrier. Fresh off the bike and I dashed over to the UChicago pool. But before I did I decided to deck myself out in a pair of boys, rainbow drag shorts. Wooo Hoo look at that hottie! Haha! Needless to say I got a few laughs and some stares but I really didn't care, I was on a mission to get through my sets! I felt pretty good about myself after that swim and after accomplishing all that work, enough so that I decided it would be ok to sleep in the next day.

Wednesday was a run and lift day. I don't think this will ever get old: I hate the treadmill. Honesly, I feel like it gets a bad rap sometimes but then I think, that doesn't make it any more appealing. So I did my warm up and then my 10 X 1min all out runs with 1 min jogs in between, and it sucked. It's not the typical running I'm used to, which is just going as far as I want for however long I please. After my run I took on the weights. Today was a legs day. One thing I will (hopefully) get through my head is that even though leg lifting is my favorite, it's not ideal to go hard and heavy on a Wednesday because you still have workouts up until Sunday. After I finished I felt fabulous! Even threw in some core. (This one is a good one, back on the yoga ball against the incline bench, raising your legs....that'll get you tight!) Needless to say I'd be paying for it later though.

 This brings me to today. Today I am sore and my muscles are fatigued....and I'm walking around like I have a stick up my butt. Occasionally my legs give out too. No one to blame but myself and the leg press machine ;) I was thankful for an endurance swim this morning (4 X 400 alt. pull/swim) but still had a bike ride to get to this afternoon. Now I switched out my "interval" ride for my "steady one on Tuesday. Totally regretted that as soon as it hurt to put my ass on the seat and bring my RPMs up to 90. Whoops. I fought long and hard, for 70 minutes with 2 X 5 mins high intensity/low cadence. Wrapped it up with some ab sets and I called it a day. I loafed around my dads house for a good hour before I decided I couldn't handle the hunger any more and took myself and my sweat pants to the grocery store. The funny part is, even though I bought all of this wonderful food my impatience got the best of me, and I ended up going to Panera for a salad.....where the employees know my name, my face and my order. I know, I live a sweet life :) But I figured I deserved a tiny reward, even though it was my decision making that got me into this mess in the first place, but I'm gonna pretend like I don't know that since I have a 6 mile run at different paces for tomorrow. But you best believe I'm sleeping in!

No comments:

Post a Comment