Monday, October 10, 2011

After the Race

I have got to be one of the luckiest runners because right after I finished my friend Meg, who was working the medical tent at the finish line scoped me out and grabbed me. She put her arm around me for support and told me how amazing I was. We walked the 1/2 mile stretch and she picked me up water, a warming foil, and food. I was like "Meg I just wanna lay down" and she told me I had to make it out of the shoot before I could. I found the first patch of grass when we got out and just plopped down. As the amazing athletic trainer that she is, she went and got me some ice for my legs and made me keep drinking water.

About 5 minutes later I decided to go get my bag from the bag check to meet up with my family. I had 22 text messages from friends and family who must have been getting my updates, congratulating me on finishing. How great is that!? Meg and I made our way next over to Buckingham fountain to meet up with Izzy. At this point my family was scattered all over trying to find me so I plopped down on a curb on Congress and Columbus and basically told them to come find me :) When I met up with everyone is was this amazing experience! Hugs and cheers, encouragement and pride came from each and everyone! (I have the best family!) We took some pictures as I started to relay my story of the race, some of the funny signs I had seen and assuring everyone that I was actually feeling much better than I thought I was going to.

I got a call from my dad who told me come meet up with him on michigan and congress. So we all walked over there. There at the bus stop was my dad, other grandma, aunt and cousin with more hugs, encouragement, and a balloon and a bear :) So there we all stood, talking about where they had seen me, didn't see me, and the experiences of the day. We broke off after that, some of us to go eat and the rest to go home. I went with some family out to eat at Bennigans (which was delicious!) which was exciting too on a personal level because I didn't even think I'd be able to stand, let alone walk and go out to eat. After we ate I said goodbye to my one grandma who had flown in from Texas to see me, thanked her and was off to the car with the rest of my family to go home. Wrapped in my foil from the race because I was still pretty cold, we walked to the garage and it felt good to be going home.

After I was dropped off, and said my goodbyes, I decided to devote the last of my energy to a shower before I dropped into me bed and knocked out. I fell asleep around 5:30pm and slept until 8pm. Woke up for some water and then slept through the night until about 7am this morning. I woke up, a little pain in my legs and some in my back, but overall pretty good. I'll probably go for a walk or something later so my muscles don't cramp but I have to say, overall, it was a HUGE accomplishment and I plan on doing it again next year. Time to beat: 5:45:42. Training starts in June!!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment