Friday, September 9, 2011

One Month



Today is September 9th, which means I am exactly one month away from my race day!!! I realize that I haven't update my blog for the majority of my training session so let me start there. As one of my good friends Kim would tell you "Let me give you the Reader's Digest version". So back in may I ran the Soldier Field 10 Miler. It was a great race and I ran pretty strong. I haven't actually done a race since then, however I did sign up for the 15k hot chocolate run in November (thinking it will probably be my last race of the season). This weekend, however, I am competing in the Chicago Half marathon. I am looking forward to it since last year I woke up 6 minutes before the start of it and the first time I ran 13 miles this year, I took 40-something minutes off my race time! Any who, that's this weekend, and next weekend I signed up for the "Ready to Run" 20 miler with CARA. I figured that this would be a good training run to do with other people, seeing as how I have been running alone for pretty much all of my training. But also because I have yet to hit my 20 mile run and that worried me a little. Each time I would go out to run and something would come over me and I would lose my motivation. Honestly this worried me quite a bit...did I hit this training too hard too fast? And then I fell off my training wagon just recently as I got started at my internship. I absolutely LOVE my internship at Eisenhower High School but there are just not enough hours in the day to fit in my runs. I have been faced with having to choose between getting up at 4am to leave by 4:30 so I can go workout from 5-6:30am MWF or try and go after school (which never works because I am burnt out and/or have to stay late). So I decided that once the marathon is over I am going to focus more on strength training, since that's what I've been more into these days anyways, and keep running for the weekends when I have a little more time.

So like I said I've fallen on some hard times running wise. I was really distracted for a while with the transition into fall semester from summer and still not having finished the final papers for my two classes. That on top of the ridiculous amount of part time jobs, on top of the other crap going on, was really wearing me thin. But I have spent a lot of time asking other people how their running is going and it's been a motivating force. I love to talk to people about running and so naturally, working at the gym, i have found quite a few of those. Running has given me a lot these past few months and I suggest it to anyone looking for a hobby or even just a way to be more in tune with themselves. I love going on long runs, not having my phone on me, and just being really into my run and how I am feeling. It's intoxicating. But I digress.....

So Sunday should be fun and I am hoping that it will give me something of a boost that I need to get back into the swing of things, what with only a month left. That being said I need to start advertising to get people out there on the 9th to cheer for me or even run a few miles, every little bit helps!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Sam...what a refreshingly candid account of the challenge of training for a marathon when one has a whole other life! I am so proud of the fact that you have a plan in place that will not only get you to the start line, but propel you across the finish line on October 9. I am inspired by you (so much so that I restarted my own blog) and support your running efforts. Luv you!

    ReplyDelete